Monday, June 25, 2007

Informal Discourse on Writing

As I write now I write with a strange sort of conviction. Despite the fact that I have a deep hatred of my own handwriting, partly due to my own sloppiness and partly due to the inefficiency that writing by hand represents, I have found that there is definitely an unusual quality that handwriting has that is impossible to duplicate. I have heard a man speak of the crude destruction that writing usually entails as with carving or scratching meaning into an object; indeed, while at the time I did not hold with this philosophy, I now understand his passion.

Writing incurs an imbalance between creativity and destruction. To write, you must be assured of your own rightness, that you may conclude that your destruction was justified by the creation of something new. In a way a good writer must have a sort of god-complex. When you write you must be totally convinced that what you have to say is worth the time and energy it takes to write and read. In essence, you are saying that your violation of the natural order of things will bring about greater good.

This thought established, does it not seem then that the sharing of ideas is the counter to the social application of the laws of thermodynamics?

No comments: