Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dali Dolly

The room wasn't nearly as spartan as I had expected. Punctuated by fine carpets and vivacious plant life there was a sink, dressers, a bed, and even a drum set in the far corner. No sticks though. I imagined that the Ghosts didn't appreciate loud noises.

When She entered the room I was surprised by Her appearance. Her face was covered by a white mask, eyeholes cut almost crudely in a piece of bleached cloth that hung with ragged edges, as if torn from its home. The rest of Her pale body was, barring a brief loincloth, completely naked and resembled a man's entirely. If I hadn't known better I would have thought She was a man, but when She spoke I recognized the silky-smoothness of Her voice.

"They said that you wished to become a Ghost." I ignored Her for a moment, still wondering at her transformation. Even Her body was an unusual color, and when she turned in the light shed by the window it became even more pronounced. It was like a marble statue, or bones scarred white by the sun's rays. She stared, unblinking, from behind Her mask.

"Is this true, or are you just trying to get closer to the Door?" This time I responded.

"You know me well."

"It is impossible for a man to enter The Door without a key." I snorted with derision.

"The Door is not an entrance, but an exit."

"Who would want to leave this place?" She gestured, presumably referring to the tennis or basketball courts, the opulent swimming pools shrouded by magnificent waterfalls, and the other Ghosts who frequented those places. I stared at Her and refused Her advance - She hated this the most. With reluctance in Her eyes, She spoke.

"Well, They have decided to give you a chance. Tomorrow." She turned and appeared to float out the door, shutting it firmly behind her until the lock clicked. I returned to a prone position on the bed, begging the fates for a confirmation of my righteousness. I heard only silence.

No comments: