Friday, May 18, 2007

Burning Shadows (Chapter 4)

She stepped gently into the doorway, a silhouette against the white and blue marble hallway. Notek sensed her presence, and altered his posture slightly.

“I’m sorry for the way I acted before.”

“I know.” Cautiously Vertigo stepped into the dimly-lit room, her feet probing carefully lest they disturb the slumber of the indigenous candles, manuscripts, and ashes that littered the floor. Notek continued his packing.

“I made you something.” Vertigo’s heart leapt and was quieted by her memory of the scene in the chamber just a few hours ago as Notek held out his hand, never changing the direction of his gaze.

“It’s beautiful” she gasped; and it was. Smooth and silver, the small spiral-shaped talisman hung on a thread of the purest white.

“I just” Notek choked on his words. “ . . . I just didn’t want you to forget me.” Vertigo’s dark eyes brimmed, but she felt her heart sink into the icy depths of inevitability.

“You won’t be gone for long I’m sure. The headmaster will let you come back next year, I’m sure of it!” Notek shook his head.

“I don’t think I’m destined for this.” Here he gestured, and his fragile hands seemed to encompass the entire dome with their subtle movements. “This isn’t my home . . .”

“This isn’t mine either.”

“Don’t say that Verti.” She took a bold step forward, chin raised.

“But it’s true, and you know it!”

“Don’t say that Verti!” Notek spun around, fury burning dark and deep in his pale blue eyes. “I can’t live like this! I can’t live this life . . .” He stalked past her and let his legs carry him woodenly down the cold passageway. Abruptly Vertigo felt her legs fail her, and she sank, cross-legged, to the floor. The sobbing that ensued would last until the evening meal.

But this story is not about her.

This story is about the young symbiote who met with Master Akuta Sagon as a wretched outcast of the council and emerged victorious as the legend that we know him to be today.

That story continues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There-I've read it!!!! :P Very cool..

Anonymous said...

Is there any more? You leaving me hanging with my imagination running free as Notek goes off alone? Or are you taking a turn at poetry again and will resume? I need answers! You have a fan base now, you need to satisfy your readers. ^_^

BleedingHeartCommunist said...

I plan on resuming the Burning Shadows storyline in the very near future; however, I wanted to take a break from it so that I could post some of the poetry I've written in the meantime.