Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Burning Shadows (Chapter 6)

“Again, that was sloppy!” Notek’s tears and sweat mingled on his forehead as he struggled to maintain his focus. With a sudden exhalation of breath he dropped to the ground, eyes shut tight. Akuta’s voice rang with silent satisfaction. “This ends the exercise . . . we will return.” Notek stood, pain mocking his movements. Silently, numbly, he began to climb.

The yellow-green grassy plains of this world frequently gave way to rocky cliff face, and it was there that Akuta had taken Notek. Five times had the barely-habitable ball of rock orbited its star, and there were many days when Notek gazed, longing, towards that star’s rise, knowing he could not go back.

Not yet.

***

“You are upset.” The many pits and scars on Akuta’s sandy features were accentuated by the light of the fire, causing his visage to appear corrugated in the near-darkness. Notek maintained his silence, and Akuta shook his head. “You may share with me . . . you know that I will not violate your trust.”

“It is nothing master . . .”

“The desires of the heart are everything.” Still Notek did not speak, shamed by Akuta’s perceptiveness. Sensing Notek’s discomfort, Akuta again spoke. “There have been many who have desired my teachings, but none who were able.” His eyes glared through the flames towards Notek, and his voice betrayed his conviction. “There is no doubt in my mind that I was right in my choice. However . . .” Notek shifted his weight, surprised at the addendum. “You have surpassed my desires. There is more to teach you, but I cannot hold you any longer.” The pale humanoid met Akuta’s gaze. “If you wish to leave, I will not stop you.” Notek responded instantly, appalled at his master’s assertion.

“You have done so much for me, I would be worthy only of disgust if I were to leave you now.”

“Incorrect – your debt to me is no greater than mine to you.” Notek fell silent in humility. “Consider my words carefully, and do not forget to weigh what you feel with what you think, for reason and emotion must be carefully balanced.” Akuta smiled lovingly. “You tend to consider only your intellect Notek; please, do not let your emotions be forgotten, for while it is the rational that will save your life, it is the irrational that will make it worth living.” Notek stood and maneuvered himself to the mouth of the cave, his eyes roving absently from star to star, only those small points of light visible in the inky blackness.

In the morning he was gone.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Yay, finally read them all... so far :O

I really like the quote from the last paragraph. :3