Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dearest Son,

There are so many things that I wish I could have told you during my life. How much I loved you. How proud I was of you. All of these and more, but most importantly, I must instruct you on the proper disposal of this book.

First and foremost, it must not be destroyed. I can only assume you've read it by now, and that you see how imperative it is that it stay preserved. On the other hand, it must be hidden for a very, very long time.

Son, I know I was never the greatest father. I've always been a writer first and a dad second, and I regret that with every aching beat of my heart. So it breaks my heart even more that I must leave you with so great a responsibility.

The book must be hidden, preferably in stone, although water would suffice and might be better over the long term. Do as you feel is necessary to ensure it's continued safety and secrecy.

Please . . . I beg you . . . do not hate me for this.

No comments: