Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sometimes I wish I could dilate time . . .


Hurriedly I throw on my coat and rush into my car. I can only hope the box hasn't been auctioned off yet. As I drive I cannot help but glance repeatedly at my watch. I know that it takes precisely six and a half minutes to get to the house, but with sufficient motivation I think I can make it in three.

It's been two and a half.

Rounding the corner, I pulled awkwardly into the driveway, almost rear-ending a beautiful new mercedes. With a prayer and a promise I jogged towards the now-ending auction.

It was still there.

So now I waited.

Very few people were left, but there was one man in particular who I was wary of. He was a tall man, dark skinned with a pronounced chin. His glances my way were anything but friendly. Wait, hold on.

The box is being auctioned.

"Can I get twenty five dollars for this beautiful antique box! Made of-"the auctioneer stopped and sniffed the outside.

"Do I hear twenty?" he resumed. No sooner had I raised my hand then I heard a reedy voice from the crowd.

"Twenty thousand dollars!"

I couldn't help myself, I almost swallowed my own tongue. There was no way I could afford that much for the box, I barely earned that much in six months. I pushed my way to the front and stood at the auctioneer's feet.

"That box was left to me by my father and is my legal property!"

I hadn't planned to put it that way, but in retrospect it sounded very official, almost scripted. The auctioneer looked at my license and flipped through his copy of the will before he continued.

"Sold, to the young man with connections." The icy glares from the gathered bidders could not phase my joy at getting something for free (even if it wasn't really worth 20k). Walking on air, I returned to the car. As I pulled out, something caught my eye. It was the tall man, donning a khaki trenchcoat, and looking my way. Before he could catch my attention and force me to stop I quickly backed out (in the process almost destroying a positively gleaming Benz) and continued on my way.

I had the book.

No comments: